Saturday, February 28, 2009

This is why Aisha bugs me.

I really don't like Aisha. She really bugs me. She's the kind of person who can do anything or say anything and get away with it, and she knows it. And she can pull it off because she's perfect. She's brilliant, she's nice, she wants to get into a good college, (really badly), she's on the debate team...

"No way am I sticking with Aisha. What that really means is I'm supposed to do whatever she says, and then she gets all the credit. 'Forget it.'" -page 28

"She began to study the other kids-especially the American ones. She figured out how they walked, what slang they used. Sometimes she'd stand in front of the mirror practicing phrases like 'my mom' or 'awesome.'... ...Aisha can't go to sleep at night unless she lays out her next day's clothes on a chair: her top, her pants, her matching underwear. Then she stacks up her notebooks with the spines lined up and zips up her pens and pencils into a plastic bag. After she's crawled under the covers, she keeps talking into the dark, rehearsing who she wants to be the next day."

See, this is why Aisha bugs me. She has to be perfect. She works so hard for the illusion of natural perfection, when really every move is practiced until it looks like herself. 
People claim that Aisha is the stronger one, but I think that's not true. Aisha is the one that is more driven. Nadria is much more comfortable with who she is, and would be much more comfortable if Aisha weren't there. 

4 comments: